Monday, September 6, 2010

When I Was Little...

The older I get, the more I confess about what I thought when I was younger, which tells me that as a kid I was pretty messed up. Some of the things I thought were because of what my older sister said, but the scary part was most of my thoughts were caused by my VERY own "imagination."

I'm gonna start off with what my sister told me, because those were the ones that kept me scared for awhile up until I was 11 or so.

I Though Giants Were Living in Our City*
Once my mom took my sister and I to World Market Plus. I was having a blast! Checking out all the fun gadgets. Things were going great. UNTIL my sister decided to point out one of those large spoons [like so: http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.122004120.jpg]. As a young and inquisitive child I jokingly asked "Who'd use that big of a spoon?" And she said in the most eerie voice...
Being young and impressionable I believed her. For years I lived in fear of a giant peeking over my house and reaching into my room like King Kong, only to eat me. It didn't help that I was also reading The Spiderwick Chronicles. Later on, it was explained that they were only decorative, but I'm still having some second thoughts.

You think that story's bad? Wait till you hear this one...

I Didn't Let People Close To My Neck*
One time after a conversation on the secret ways to hurt people, my sister shared a story that I will never forget. She told me the story of how if you were hit on the back of your neck you would instantly go blind.

Again this idea stuck with me, and I lived in fear. To get her way, my sister would even threaten to hit me in the neck. Hold on, my sister's screaming "NO I DIDN'T" in the background. See that's what you call in denial boys and girls. Anyway, for a period of time I even wore a scarf everywhere! I would instantly get nervous around anyone who would stand behind me.


Then on one faithful day I tested the theory, and it turned out it wasn't true I was so ecstatic to find out that it wasn't true! I even started slapping my neck really hard just to make sure, and guess what I can STILL see!


WATCH OUT LADY!

Now I can't keep playing the blame game, because half of my ideas I thought were because of myself.
I Thought I Had To Keep Thinking*
Another terror story brought to you by my sister.
Waaay back in the day, I was talking with my sister and she decided to tell me ANOTHER fun fact. That told me about the fact that if you stopped thinking you'd die. So here I am a little 7 year old worried sick about the fact that if one simple thought slips my mind I'm gone for good.





I Never Understood Ped Xing
This story is probably the scariest one, since I've just recently discovered the truth.
Naturally, the "Ped Xing" is a simple sign used to inform people and keep them aware of the fact that there are PEDestrians CROSS(X-)ING.



Well, not for me. I always thought that it was ACTUALLY pronounced "Ped Exing". And for pretty much all my life I had been confused by the phrase. Easily getting upset whenever I saw the sign because i just couldn't comprehend their fancy talk.

Well, once I really figured out what it all meant simple phrases like "X-mas" all made since! You see 'X' can also stand for 'Chris'

I Never Comprehended 'Not A Through Street'
'Not A Through Street' simple enough to understand, right? Read it and you know the street you're gonna go through probably ends in a cul-de-sac or so. Wrong.



For a second time, I didn't understand a simple street sign that can easily be read by a pre-schooler. I believed that this sign notified people that the street that they were going to go down was safe. You see, I thought that the sign said "Not A TOUGH Street" Meaning that the street was safe to go down, and had no dangers.

So whenever I saw that sign I always felt a safe and cozy feeling.


When really the reality was that I was looking at some random alley.



Now that I think about it I was just completely confused when it came to street signs.

I Thought Apples Would Bleed

As a kid, I learned (the hard way) this simple formula:

So naturally I thought that this formula worked if you plugged in anything including apples.
This was just a tiny theory where I thought it but was still sort of skeptical, because I had never seen it happen. Then one day when I had a loose tooth and an apple to eat, so I just took a bite. Only to be horrified when I pulled the apple out of my mouth. My tooth had come out! And so did the apple's blood. At the sight of this I totally disregarded the fact that my tooth came out. I was determined to prove to my family that my theory was correct! It went like so:


Later, after my mom explained to me how my tooth caused the blood, and how apples have no veins so they can't bleed. Now, I only believe that theory with bananas!



So, those are my stories, well some at least! Have some stories of your own? Share 'em in the comments! Here is your safe zone.

*Besides these horrific story, TRUST me my sister is really a nice person

No comments:

Post a Comment