Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Back-to-School

WOOHOO! This is my first official blog-post!

*throws confetti*

One day you and me both will look back at this and go “WOW! Syd’s come a loooong way!” Anyway, I decided that my first blog post should cover something really controversial, something that almost every kid tries to avoid : SCHOOL! *dramatic music plays* Now, don't you go exiting out of this blog just because I'm about to talk about school. Cuz you see, I'm gonna be talking about something worse! Going BACK to school!




*super dramatic music plays*





Anyway, I'm gonna talk now, so you better listen up! (Ha, do you see what I did there?)

Have you ever seen those Sears and JCPenney back-to-school commercials? Well, if you haven't check 'em out.
JCPenney's Lies
This kind of advertisement leads up to a feeling of excitement for awhile, keeping you excited every day of school, until picture day comes, bringing nothing but the norm.

Sears' Lies
Where are these kids backpacks?!?
Now I'm pretty sure that all of you guys that go to school realize that you can't do those kind of things in real people school, even if you try to make them. (Trust me, I've tried)

So why do advertisers think that? They want to get you hyped for school.

And I'll admit, yes I do end up getting hyped for going back to school. Because after I get my clothes, and my cool backpack. I feel like I'm looking fresh. I can't wait to see how my friends look, you know, I'm genuinely excited. Until the day I get to the school that I actually attend.

You see, after your mind is filled with ideas about how exciting my first day back could be, you can only expect the best. Then, when you get to your first period class and see no ones shaking their groove thang, or getting down with their bad selves, you start to loose hope. And this goes on for 4 WHOLE periods. You try blasting 'Watch Me Move' by Fefe Dobson, but the only outcome is an iPod confiscation. But then you get to lunch, with your expectations lower than before, but still high enough. You find yourself being the only one walking on a lunch table strutting your stuff. But, the true turning point is when your jerkin' down the hallway, alone, with no one by your side, doing that choreographed dance that you imagined.

These commercials don't have a disclaimer that says something along the lines of "Please note: This is a fake school set, adults are not actual school authority. Act with caution" Simple actions that you see in these commercials aren't supposed to be acted out because:
Leaving School Property to Dance counts as... Cutting Class
Changing a Certified School Poster counts as... Vandalism
Staying in the Hallways After Tardy Bell counts as... Defying School Rules
Jumping Up On a Table counts as... Destruction of School Property

So, this is the down spiral that all Back-to-School commercials cause. Thus making your first day back even more traumatizing then it could've been.

Ways to avoid this problem? None, because no matter how aware you are of this trap they'll still get you. Heck, I know they get me.

I can give Staples their props for making their advertisment a whole lot more realistic.

1 comment:

  1. Man, I still get mad when "Chemicals React" comes on my iPod.

    Forget you, well planned Aly & AJ back to school promotion! >:U

    ReplyDelete